EA - Housing Search Counselor
Health and well-being start with having a safe and affordable home in a stable and opportunity-rich community. We promote these conditions by developing housing, by providing housing resources and education in collaboration with our partners in the public and private sectors.
Works as a team with the Shelter Program Supervisor for all participants in the shelter program, working with each family regarding budgeting and applying for permanent housing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Work as a team with the Supervisor with the set-up of units including restocking the units as they become vacant, making recommendations for replacement items, notifying landlords of any repair problems, and ensuring the prompt placement into vacant units.
· Work with the participant to develop a monthly budget. Review the budget monthly and address any budgeting issues with the participant. Work with each family to review past credit.
· Work with the participant to assist them in locating safe, secure affordable housing.
· Advise clients of open housing wait lists, assist with completing applications and gathering necessary verifications, and advise of available units with or without a subsidy.
· Assist in transportation to apply for and view available units.
· Work with brokers, landlords, government agencies, and property management companies to cultivate, develop and maintain all types of housing options in and around Southeastern Massachusetts.
· Leveraging all available housing search resources and expanding the number of properties for the program.
· Provide the participant with tenancy skills, development of references and any other service necessary to assist the participant in obtaining and maintaining housing.
· Develop an individualized housing search plan for participant families. Establish long range plans to facilitate self-sufficiency including budgeting, education, job training and employment.
· Maintain files with necessary notes/documentation.
· Develop and maintain a knowledge and network of landlords, property managers and social service agencies.
· Attend weekly program meeting to discuss ongoing cases.
· Visit clients weekly, during which the apartment will be inspected for tenancy skills and adherence to program rules and regulations.
Job Requirements & Skills:
QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
• Knowledge of interviewing techniques.
• Basic knowledge of record keeping and maintaining documentation and files.
• Standard computer skills.
• Ability to interact with people of different social, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
• Effective communications skills both verbal and written.
• Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with other service agencies and clients.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education/ experience in housing administration and/or human services
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation with adequate insurance to transport clients
• The Housing Search Counselor will be available for rotating on call coverage evening and weekend hours.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
Requires driving, prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires ability to regularly lift up to 25 pounds. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. When not visiting clients, work is often performed in an office environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job is primarily conducted in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
NeighborWorks Housing Solutions is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. At NeighborWorks Housing Solutions we provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.