FSS Homeownership Program Staff Coordinator
Asset development, and in particular homeownership, is central to FSS families’ economic mobility. DHCD has implemented several administrative and operational changes that support participants’ efforts to reach this goal. Homeownership and asset development are critical community economic development strategies and serve to strengthen families and communities. The FSS Homeownership and Matched Savings Program track will be open to all DHCD FSS-eligible voucher holders interested in focusing on homeownership, who are also committed to the HUD-required FSS goals of finding and maintaining employment, as well as being free of public assistance for 12 months prior to graduation.
NeighborWorks® Housing Solutions is the leading housing service provider in Southeastern Massachusetts. NHS has more than 70 years of combined experience in the community development field and provides services to more than 11,000 households in more than 75 cities and towns across Southern Massachusetts. In addition to building and managing 900 units of housing for veterans, homeless families and others in need, NHS offers a wide range of housing services, including rental assistance, vouchers, foreclosure prevention counseling, home rehabilitation loans and grants, financial coaching and education, first-time homebuyer workshops and more.
Health and well-being start with having a safe and affordable home in a stable and opportunity-rich community. We promote these conditions by developing housing, by providing housing resources and education in collaboration with our partners in the public and private sectors.
Responsible for the successful launch and implementation of the FSS Homeownership Track, including the recruitment and support of participants for the Savings Match for Homeownership Program (SMHP), and developing a cohort of participants working together towards shared goal of becoming homeowners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Coordinating Required Workshops and Trainings
Participant Support and Recruitment
Monitoring and Reporting on participant progress towards goals
Program Operations such as completing Contracts of Participation, monitoring escrow and match calculations
Provide motivational counseling to participants who are interested in focusing on homeownership preparation while enrolled in FSS
Schedule and conduct initial outreach and enrollment activities
Develop participant FSS Contracts of Participation with all required SMHP activities and goals as well as other non-Homeownership activities and goals participants identify for their participation in the program
Coordinating high quality and engaging workshops designed to inspire, support and educate future homebuyers in all aspects of preparing for homebuying and homeownership including but not limited to these required core workshops and others:
• Legal Aspects of Homebuying
• Property Inspections
• Budgeting for Homeownership
• Understanding Mortgage choices (note: this is in addition to the One Mortgage lender meeting)
• Credit Repair and Credit Building
• Coordinate services to be provided and ensure that partnerships and resources are in place as needed
• Maintain relationships with One Mortgage Lenders and other eligible lenders to provide support to participants
• Provide assistance with credit repair to build and achievable path to homeownership within the appropriate timeframe
• Communicate and coordinate with staff from multiple departments to achieve program goals
• Maintain required program records and documentation of progress
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that re required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Requirements & Skills:
QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
• 4-year degree in social work, public policy or Associates degree with at least four years of experience in program implementation and participant coaching for homeownership and financial counseling
• 3 years of experience in social services/case management required, with additional experience in homeownership counseling required and financial coaching preferred
• Commitment to, and experience with working with, diverse and multi-cultural clients
• Counseling and assessment skills
• Familiarity with the region (e.g., transportation, school systems, amenities, services)
• Valid Massachusetts drivers’ license
• Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
• Proficiency in PC-based computer software
• Support for the FSS program’s mission and goals
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to complete and maintain client records for each interaction to ensure compliance with program and federal standards.
• Proficiency in Microsoft programs and the ability to effectively operate standard office equipment.
• Preferred bi-lingual skills, as we serve a diverse community with many languages needs
• Previous experience in the housing, financial, social services or real estate industry preferred
• HUD Certification within one year of hire.
DHDC Training Requirements
• Nan McKay FSS Training (mandatory within the first three months)
• Nan McKay HCV Specialist Training (optional but recommended)
• Completion of HB 101 (mandatory within first two months)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires ability to regularly lift up to 25 pounds. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. Work is performed in an office environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job is primarily conducted in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
NeighborWorks Housing Solutions is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. At NeighborWorks Housing Solutions we provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.