Reports To: Shelter Program Supervisor/ Property Manager
Department: Housing Services
This position works primarily as a team with the Shelter Program Supervisor for all participants in the shelter program, working with each family in regards to budgeting and applying for permanent housing.
In addition, this position is part of the property management team, working with our tenant families and community partners to support and enhance the quality of life within one or more communities around the areas of: Stable Housing, Employment, Education, Health, Community Engagement and Economic Mobility.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Shelter Program
· Work as a team with the Supervisor with the set-up of units including restocking the units as they become vacant, making recommendations for replacement items, notifying landlords of any repair problems, and ensuring the prompt placement into vacant units.
· Work with the participant to develop a monthly budget, reviewing monthly and addressing any budgeting issues with the participant. Work with each family to review past credit. Including obtaining a credit report and creating a plan to pay past debt.
· Work with the participant to assist them in locating safe, secure affordable housing. Advise clients of open Section 8 wait lists, assist with completing applications and gathering necessary verifications, and advise of available units with or without a subsidy.
· Assist in transportation to apply for and view available units.
· Provide the participant with tenancy skills, development of references and any other service necessary to assist the participant in obtaining and maintaining housing.
· Develop an individualized housing search plan for participant families. Establish long range plans to facilitate self-sufficiency including budgeting, education, job training and employment.
· Maintain files with necessary notes/documentation.
· Develop and maintain a knowledge and network of landlords, property managers and social service agencies.
· Attend weekly program meeting to discuss ongoing cases.
· Visit clients weekly, during which the apartment will be inspected for tenancy skills and adherence to program rules and regulations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Community Engagement
• Coordinate resources for residents that addresses the issues of: Housing stability, economic mobility, health, education, and community engagement. Provide direct assistance, program referrals, one- to- one coaching when necessary to individuals and families base on need.
• Establish and maintain relationship with local service providers, resident leadership, community stakeholders, NeighborWorks Community Building and Engagement initiatives
• Effectively develop methods of communication with residents, including meetings, newsletters, flyers, and social media.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Requirements & Skills:
· Knowledge of interviewing techniques.
· Basic knowledge of record keeping and maintaining documentation and files.
· Standard computer skills.
· Ability to interact with people of different social, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
· Effective communications skills both verbal and written.
· Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with other service agencies and clients.
Experience and Education
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education/ experience in housing administration and/or human services
• Bilingual – ability to communicate efficiently in Spanish
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation with adequate insurance to transport clients
· Must be available for rotating on call coverage evening and weekend hours for the Shelter Program