Housing Search Counselor
Works as a team with the Shelter Program Supervisor for all participants in the shelter program, working with each family in regards to budgeting and applying for permanent housing.
Job Requirements & Skills:
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Work as a team with the Supervisor with the set-up of units including restocking the units as they become vacant, making recommendations for replacement items, notifying landlords of any repair problems, and ensuring the prompt placement into vacant units.
· Work with the participant to develop a monthly budget. Review the budget monthly and address any budgeting issues with the participant. Work with each family to review past credit. Including obtaining a credit report and creating a plan to pay past debt.
· Work with the participant to assist them in locating safe, secure affordable housing. Advise clients of open Section 8 wait lists, assist with completing applications and gathering necessary verifications, and advise of available units with or without a subsidy.
· Assist in transportation to apply for and view available units.
· Provide the participant with tenancy skills, development of references and any other service necessary to assist the participant in obtaining and maintaining housing.
· Develop an individualized housing search plan for participant families. Establish long range plans to facilitate self-sufficiency including budgeting, education, job training and employment.
· Maintain files with necessary notes/documentation.
· Develop and maintain a knowledge and network of landlords, property managers and social service agencies.
· Attend weekly program meeting to discuss ongoing cases.
· Visit clients weekly, during which the apartment will be inspected for tenancy skills and adherence to program rules and regulations.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
· Knowledge of interviewing techniques.
· Basic knowledge of record keeping and maintaining documentation and files.
· Standard computer skills.
· Ability to interact with people of different social, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
· Effective communications skills both verbal and written.
· Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with other service agencies and clients.
Experience and Education
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education/ experience in housing administration and/or human services
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation with adequate insurance to transport clients
· The Housing Search Counselor will be available for rotating on call coverage evening and weekend hours.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, climb stairs, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and move without restriction. The employee is often required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.