Shelter Case Manager
Health and well-being start with having a safe and affordable home in a stable and opportunity-rich community. We promote these conditions by developing housing, by providing housing resources and education in collaboration with our partners in the public and private sectors.
NeighborWorks® Housing Solutions (NHS) is a one-stop shop for finding and maintaining safe, affordable, high-quality housing and growing financial skills and resources. We provide the answers and support individuals and families need.
Our services include rental assistance; emergency financial help; shelter and homelessness prevention; first-time homebuyer education and counseling; financial coaching; foreclosure prevention; affordable residential and small business loans; and construction and management of high-quality rental housing across Southern Massachusetts.
A charter member of the national NeighborWorks® America network, NHS is a full-service NeighborWorks® Homeownership Center with locations in Quincy, Brockton, Kingston, and New Bedford.
The Shelter Case Manager will be responsible for the daily maintenance of the client caseload. This includes accepting referrals to the program, assessing applicants for participation, development of individualized service plans to ensure participant graduation from the program.
This position travels to meet with clients and family members and commutes between units and providers outside of the office in various settings such as homes, programs and other accessible community settings. Candidates will need a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable motor vehicle for transportation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Implementation and facilitation of the DHCD Re-housing Plan program objectives, including:
o Case Management of all shelter guests (i.e. Intake/Goal setting meetings, weekly and individual group meetings, progress notes, and maintenance of case records.)
• Enforce shelter rules.
• Advocate for employment/educational needs for families and participate in case conferencing with related agencies.
• Assistance with daily living skills, (i.e., Budgeting, parenting, time management, nutritional planning, health and hygiene skills).
• Intake and orientation of new guests.
• Implementation and facilitation of the DHCD Stabilization Plan for guests leaving shelter.
• Supervision of residential staff.
• Other duties assigned by the Director of Housing Services
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Requirements & Skills:
The Case Manager will be available for rotating on-call coverage of
evening and weekend hours.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
• Relevant case management experience
• Knowledge and/or skills to access and /or develop community resources
• Demonstrated ability in clear verbal and written communication
• Knowledge and/or experience relevant to working with client population
• Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a member of a professional team.
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully in multi-cultural settings with diverse client groups, including those with mental health issues.
• Proficient computer skills, including the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Valid Driver’s License
• A CORI and SORI background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Department of Housing and Community Development prior to the candidate being hired.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires ability to regularly lift up to 25 pounds. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. Work is usually performed in an office environment. This position commutes between units and providers so a valid driver’s license and a reliable motor vehicle are essential.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
NeighborWorks Housing Solutions is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. At NeighborWorks Housing Solutions we provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.