Lead Paint Poisoning

Dangers of Lead Poisoning

Lead poisoning can occur in several ways, but most commonly through breathing, consuming, or being exposed to lead-contaminated dust, paint chips, or soil. Here in New England, homes are often many decades old, and lead paint can be found in any home built before 1978.

NeighborWorks® Housing Solutions (NHS) offers help in mitigating and removing lead paint through MassHousing’s “Get the Lead Out” program, a statewide program designed to provide low-to-no cost financing for owners of 1-4 family properties to remove lead paint and reduce the risks of lead poisoning.

Eligible applicants include owner occupied units, investor-owners (who rent their property to income-eligible tenants), and nonprofit organizations.

Loan amounts, set by MassHousing, range from $30,000 – $45,000.

man and woman looking at documents

What Lead Poisoning Does to Kids

High levels of lead in children’s blood can produce permanent nervous system damage. Research shows that there is no safe level of lead exposure! Even low levels of lead can result in:

  • Reading and learning disabilities
  • Speech and language handicaps
  • Hearing problems
  • Behavioral problems
  • Lowered I.Q.

The only way to be certain if someone has lead exposure or poisoning is through blood testing. A complicating factor is that the effects of lead poisoning are often invisible or look like symptoms of another issue. Lead exposure is a risk to children, adults, and a developing fetus. Learn more about possible lead poisoning symptoms.

If you have any concern you, your child, or a family member has been exposed to lead or is demonstrating symptoms of lead poisoning, contact your family physician immediately.

Get Help Removing Lead from Your Home

If you need help removing lead paint from your home, contact our lending department to learn more about the “Get the Lead Out” loan program or you may begin the application process below.